Water & Sewer Department
Attention: New water usage rates will become effective as of January 1, 2024. Click here to see the updated rates.
THROUGHOUT YOUR HOME
Use energy-efficient appliances and fixtures to help cut water usage.
Percentage of Average Daily Use:
20.9% Washing Machines
2.1% Other Domestic Uses
- Only run the dishwasher if it’s fully loaded to conserve energy as well as water.
- Check hoses and seals on washing machines and only run loads that are full.
SHOWERS & FAUCETS
- A 6-minute shower will use 39 gallons of water.
- Average of 3 showers daily will use 117 gallons.
- Always turn off firmly faucets, O-rings, and water connections after using to avoid leaky fixtures.
- If a faucet drips at a rate of one drop per second you can waste 2,700 gallons per year.
- A running faucet uses about a gallon of water per minute.
- A single-family household can use up to 74 gallons with regular fixtures.
- Don’t use water to help defrost foods. Instead, place frozen foods in the fridge overnight to cut down on water use.
- Gallons used in toilet flushing for 11 flushes per day is 66 gallons.
- When buying toilet bowl cleaners, use less harsh chemicals to avoid break down of rubber seals and parts that may cause leaks later.
- Toilet Leak can waste up to 200 Gallons of water a day.
- A pinhole leak such as a hose can waste up to 170 gallons a day.
- Check the toilet by adding one drop of food coloring to the back of the tank. Coloring will appear in the bowl if your toilet is leaking.
OUTSIDE & LANDSCAPING
- Pan or pails under downspouts to save and catch runoff water to water plants and gardens.
- Outdoor cleaning you can save water by using brooms and collect rainwater to help scrub.
- When washing vehicles, use a shut-off hose that doesn’t leak. This will cut back on water wasted. Or use a commercial car wash that recycles water.
In just 3 months a continuous leak wastes a substantial amount of water. The diameter of the stream at 60 PSI:
1/4 inch uses 1,181,000 daily average of 13,122
3/16 inch uses 652,000 daily average of 7,244
1/8 inch uses 296,000 daily average of 3,288
1/16 inch uses 74,000 daily average of 822