Menu Close

Pickens County Planning & Development



Business Licenses & Fire Inspection

Business License

Businesses operating in unincorporated Pickens County are required to obtain and display a current Business License [see Pickens County Ordinances: Chapter 18]. The process for getting a Business License is as follows:

  1. Go to the Tax Assessor’s Office to register your business.
    You will receive a report that is required for your Business License Application.
    Tax Assessor Office
    Suite 121
    1266 E Church Street
    Jasper, GA 30143-1622
    Phone: 706-253-8700
    Fax: 706-253-8703
  2. Fill out the Business License Application Form.
    This can be picked up at the Planning and Development Office or Download It Here. If you need to renew your license you may Download It Here. If your business requires State of Georgia Licensure, a copy of your Georgia License will be required with your application (see O.C.G.A. Title 43 and Secretary of State: Points of Contact).
  3. Fire Safety Inspection
    As part of our ongoing effort to ensure a safe and secure environment in which to work and shop, Pickens County Fire Rescue requires that all new businesses, located within Pickens County, to have a “Fire Safety” inspection completed prior to the issuance of a business license. To schedule a “Fire Safety” Inspection please Click Here.
  4. Bring:
    √ State Licenses (if required)
    √ Tax Assessor’s Report
    √ Completed Pickens County Business License Application
    √ $100.00 Licensing Fee (see below) to:

Office of Planning and Development
Suite 136
1266 E Church Street
Jasper, GA 30143-1622

The Business Licenses run from July 1 through June 30. Your renewal will come due on July 1. The renewal fee is $100.00 per year. Our office sends a courtesy reminder. However, you are responsible for paying your license fee by the due date. We cannot guarantee receipt of a reminder in the mail.

Permits, Fees, & Affidavits
Building Inspections

Inspection Process: Residential

Step 1: Posting the Building Permit

The property will not be inspected if it does not have a clearly posted building permit card.

  • State law requires that the permit shall always be clearly visible on-site during construction. No permit card – no inspection.
  • The permit shall be kept in good condition, protected from the weather, and replaced promptly by the builder if damaged.
  • The permit must be displayed no higher than 6 (six) feet from the ground.

Step 2: Temporary Electric Power Pole

Once you have a building permit on file, you must contact their power provider who will do the inspection before releasing temporary power.

Step 3: The Foundation Inspections

  • Footing Inspection – Performed before concrete is poured.
  • Masonry & Poured Wall Inspection – Any wall higher than 4’ from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
  • Foundation Water Proofing & Drainage – Performed before backfill. Any wall, including walls less than 5’ high, must have a waterproof inspection before any backfill is placed against the wall.
  • Plumbing In-Slab – 4” pipe must exit slab. Plumbing must have a water test or air test. Can seal pipe for the test at clean out between the house & septic tank after the test is approved. The connection from the clean out to the tank can be done. Can check this on slab inspections.
  • Slab – Basement and carports. Performed before concrete is poured.

Step 4: Sheathing and Housewrap

  • Sheathing – Inspect nail pattern and apply air barrier to the attic side of knee-walls.
  • Housewrap – Tape all laps, turn into openings.

Step 5: Rough Inspection

Done after roofing, framing, windows, and doors installed, fire blocking, bracing in place, and all rough-in electrical, mechanical, and plumbing are complete. All electrical, mechanical, and plumbing affidavits (and all applicable documentation) BEFORE the rough inspection can be called in.

Step 6: Insulation/Energy Code

Do NOT insulate prior to the rough inspection. This inspection (insulation)is performed after all insulation is in place and prior to wall cover and ceiling cover.

Step 7: Temporary to Permanent Power

Once power is installed on a permanent structure (meterbase). Final approval from Environmental Health must be on file in the Planning and Development office before the power company will turn on permanent power.

Step 8: The Final Inspection

This inspection is performed only after the structure is complete and ready for occupancy. A Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.) will not be issued until all required documents are on file and the inspector has passed the final inspection. C.O.’s will only be released to the homeowner or the contractor listed on the building permit.

Please secure all animals at the inspection site. An adult MUST be present when it is necessary for the inspector to gain access to occupied properties.

Failure to call in all necessary inspections can result in fines and/or stop work orders.

Beer, Wine, & Alcohol
Hotel / Motel Tax Reporting

The Pickens County Clerk shall administer and enforce the provisions of this article – Resolution Adopting Pickens County Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax.


Every operator renting guest rooms in the county shall keep such records, receipts, invoices and other pertinent papers in such form as the supervisor may require.


There shall be paid a tax of six percent of the rent for every occupancy of a guest room in a hotel in the county, The tax imposed by this article shall be paid upon any occupancy on and after January l, 1998.


The tax imposed by this article shall become due and payable from the occupant at the time of occupancy of any hotel in this county. All amounts of such taxes collected by an operator are due and payable to the County Clerk between the first and 20th day of the calendar month next following the calendar month or fiscal period for which the return is being filed.

P & D Office
P&D Meeting Minutes
Board of Appeals

Pickens County Planning & Development Office

Main Office
1266 East Church Street #136
Jasper, Georgia 30143

Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm
No applications after 4:30pm

706-253-8850 phone
706-253-8854 fax

Planning Commission Members

  • Clayton Preble – Chairman
  • Jim Fowler
  • Pat Holmes
  • Harold Hensley
  • Rhonda Violet
  • Karen Benson
  • Kevin Ward

The Planning & Development department coordinates planning, zoning, and construction activities. We look forward to helping you achieve your goal – whether adding onto your house; obtaining/renewing your OTC business license; rezoning property; subdividing land; constructing a new building; or another project.

The Georgia General Assembly enacted legislation in 2008 to help protect consumers by requiring that certain types of contractors obtain a State license in order to obtain local building permits. 

Since July 1, 2008, a State-issued contractor’s license is required to perform commercial (includes commercial, institutional, and industrial) building in Georgia. This law, O.C.G.A. 43-41, may be found on the Georgia State Licensing Board’s website. Verify that a contractor is properly licensed by visiting the Georgia Secretary of State’s website.

Edit Template

Bill Cagle  – Chairman

Apr 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2017

W. A. (Red) Meaders

Apr 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2017

Don Martin

Apr 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2017

Ron Barnes

Apr 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2017

Bart Connelly

Apr 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2017

Edit Template